DIY Burlap Initial Wreath

Thursday, October 9, 2014

I finally did one of my Pinterest pin's that I've been wanting to do since I saw it. A burlap wreath with our initial in it. Something like this


Picture from Susie Harris Blog DIY wreath
I have found them already made on Etsy going for $85 or more. Those ones are BEAUTIFUL! And if I could, I'd just be lazy and buy one. But I just couldn't wrap my head around paying that much money for something that I could make myself for a fraction of the price. After doing this project I can see why they cost so much. Plus they are so much more interact than what I did. But still, if you are looking for simple and cheap, this is definitely a project that you can do yourself.

  So I'm apologizing now for the lack of my own DIY pictures. I had more but I lost a bunch of my pictures when my computer crashed and the iOS8 update erased my phone. But on we go...
  I purchased my burlap and wreath wire at Joanne's Fabrics. I used coupons that they always have and I got these supplies for less than $15. You will need:
            1. 16 inch wreath wire (or whatever size you are going for)
            2. 4 inch burlap (you will need to buy 2 rolls of the burlap. I made the mistake of buying one and had to go back to the store.)
            3. 12 inch wood letter.  I purchased a Single Vine Letter from the Etsy shop Scrappin Plus. I highly recommend them! The 12 inch letter was $6 (not including shipping).

      For the wreath, I searched through pinterest for the how too. I came across the blog Top This Top That and followed her instructions. For some reason I had a really hard time grasping how to start the wreath and how to get it flowing. I'm still not sure why I had such a hard time at first, it really is pretty easy. There is no right way to get the burlap to look all fluffy and stuff. Once I realized that, I got into a rhythm and it looked like its suppose to.

After I finished the wreath I put the letter on to see how I wanted it. Below is how I decided I was going to place it after I painted it. 


 For the wood letter, I had white paint in the house and glitter spray. I did about 4 coats of paint and than sprayed it with glitter spray. It seemed so flat without a bit of shimmer. My house is kind of far from the street so it's not like you can see the glitter, but I think it helps when the sun hits my door.

 
 After the paint was dry I used the extra string that was hanging off the burlap to tie the letter onto the wreath.
   

And the final look...
    
  
I think it came out pretty good! I'm still not sure how they get them so big a fluffy, maybe a bigger burlap? But I still like it a lot. 
And here is my front porch with my fall decorations. I have a halloween-ish bow I think I might add to the wreath to dress it up. But I'm not sure. I have Fall wreaths that I normal hang but I'm so proud of this one that I can't bare to take it down yet.

  
I hope you enjoyed this and get inspired to do your own. It really is easy and I had the whole thing done in one day. Thanks for stopping by! 

Xo,
 Nikki 


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS